Friday, January 1, 2010

What a year.

2009 was an amazingly crazy year.

Last new years we were in our home in Germany, freezing as the kids lit their sparklers while freezing by the firepit in our yard. It was SO cold.

In February we went to Paris. It was so amazing and we had such a great time.

Early March we went to Austria with our church homegroup. Such a great time, and so many memories.

At the end of March the boys and I flew back to the States with Darryl's dad to move back and live with my parents a couple of months before Darryl. I missed (and still miss) my friends in Germany. They are like family to me and I'll never forget them.

March-June we had a great time catching up with our family and the boys got so spoiled by their grandparents. June 4th, Darryl flew home from Germany! We celebrated Caleb's 4th birthday on the 21st with family and friends.

There was supposed to be a 2 month time frame from when Darryl was getting out of the Army to him going to the FAA Academy for his air traffic control job in Baton Rouge, which was perfect for us because Darryl got paid until August with the Army. We kept waiting and waiting to find out the date for the Academy in preparation to his job in Baton Rouge, but nothing. So in July Darryl called and found out that if he still wanted the Baton Rouge position it would be January before he'd get there. Well, that was impossible for us since he was almost officially out of the Army, so he asked if there was anything else. Lo and behold, they had room at the airport in Jackson, MS and he'd leave 2 weeks later for the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City. I cried because we had actually started a contract for building a house in Walker, near Baton Rouge, and because I had so been looking forward to living so close to family! But, at the same time, I knew this was God and it would all work out better than anything I could come up with myself. So, we went to the cities surrounding Jackson and went househunting. Found the house we wanted the 2nd day we were there and put an offer on it. The seller accepted and we were so excited.

In August, Darryl left for Oklahoma City and the boys and I stayed in Slidell with the family.

On September 5th Ayden turned 2, so the boys and I drove 12 hours to go visit Daddy that week so he could see his boys. It was a great time. September 15th I closed on the house here in Brandon, MS. On the 24th-25th, the movers came and brought all of our stuff. I couldn't have done it without my parents and Darryl's mom here helping me through everything since Darryl was gone. They were such an integral part of me not going insane through this whole process! LOL On the 26th Darryl flew in! He finally got to see the house again with our stuff in it and was amazed at how much was done. It was so nice to have him back.

October was spent getting things just the way we wanted everything, though it also included 2 or 3 trips to Slidell, and our friends coming here to visit!

November we had everyone here from both families for Thanksgiving and had a great time!

And now in December we've been keeping so busy, been to Slidell and able to celebrate Christmas with both families. We have had such a crazy, amazing blessed year, and I am so thankful for everything God's given us. Even when we don't know the outcome, He always does and always gives us more than we could ever ask or think.

I don't usually do many resolutions for the New Years thing, but I do have many goals for myself and my family that I hope we can achieve.

* to grow in our love for the Lord. Caleb is learning Bible verses and I hope by memorization he learns to love it and love God for everything He's done for us. Ay is still a little young, but he can memorize too!

* to be a patient teacher to my little students. my babies. I hadn't planned on homeschooling for Caleb's preschool, but I am really glad I am. I love being the one teaching him to read. It can be so frustrating, but ultimately it's so rewarding. Ayden loves learning too, and he listens to alot of what I'm teaching to Caleb. We still aren't sure as to wait we are doing for kindergarten, either private school or homeschooling.

*to play more, and clean less. A clean house is what I love, it's what really makes me happy, but I'll try to do it more when the boys are sleeping and just enjoy them. There always seems to be too many things to do and not enough time in the day.

*speaking of doing things, I hope to craft more this coming year. Craft with the kids, and just projects for the house and stuff like that. I love that kind of thing.

*to grow our own garden. I really would love to go pick cucumbers and bell peppers with the boys. I've always wanted my own vegetable garden.

* to grow in my photography. I hope to start a business this year, but most of all I hope to get as close to perfect as I can with the thing I love to do so much.

To be a better wife, mother, friend, daughter, all of the above! I can be so selfish sometimes, and could use a swift kick in the rear at those times. :) I'm just so thankful that God placed us where HE wants us to be used, and I hope we realize in this next year what He put us here for and that we do His will. Happy New Year Everyone!!

3 comments:

Kadence and Adam. . . and Mommy said...

God Bless You Erin. You are doing such an awesome job with those boys. . . read something recently. Stuff to clean will always be there. . . your kids won't.

I too hope to play more with my kids. It's bad when your 4 yr old asks you if you will play with her and NOT clean her room while you do so. That was my wake up call. LOL I still tend to clean while I play but am getting better. hehe Life happens and I couldn't be happier with my less than perfectly clean house and my happy healthy children.

Praying God guides you in your decision to school Caleb yourself or finding the perfect private school. Only He knows what is best!

Lots of Love, Joy, Comfort and Fun in the year 2010!

HUGGS
Amy

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Great goals, girl. I love the new blog header too. I agree with Amy... only God & you know what's best for your family on the whole schooling thing. Hard decision to make, I know. :) Let me know if you need any HSing info. I've got a little idea of how that goes, you know. lol. And I've also got a few books I'm skimming through, and a mom with a ton of practical advice and experience in HSing. Not that your mom doesn't have the same, on a grander scale, right?!
Love ya!

Erin@The Phillips Fam said...

Thanks!! Sarah, I'm already using Abeka with Caleb for K4,and if I did homeschool for K5, I'd use aBeka again, I really love it!!

Amy-you're def right about the cleaning always being there..never stops!

CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »