Sunday, January 17, 2010

Frugal wall decor at it's finest!

This afternoon I went to Hobby Lobby with the hubs and the boys, looking for a few select pieces of wood for a project. I decided against it though, because I know for a fact Hobby Lobby has the unfinished wood pieces half off sometime during the month, so to be frugal, I waited on those.

BUT! I did remember a project that I had seen at one of my favorite blogs, Shanty2Chic, that I knew would be inexpensive! So I bought a cardboard letter "P" for our last name, and some jute! The letter was $1.99, and the jute was $2.99, can't beat that!
Here's all I needed for my project!
All you do is take your glue gun and glue and stick the jute on! I didn't glue all the way around, only where I thought the jute needed it to be able to stay on.
And here's the finished product! I love the texture of it! Sorry for the bad coloring, I so need a flash for my camera.
And here it is hanging on the nail that was already on the mantle! I've got a few ideas for things to go on each side of the letter, but it'll be awhile for that. :)
Oh yeah..and at hobby lobby they also had flowers half off, so I picked up these white tulips for $3.50 to replace the hydrangea's from my centerpiece project! I love tulips! And I also glued jute to the candleholders, and made bows out of the jute! :) I did this before the big game, while the hubsters was watching the pre-game show!
This random photo of cuteness is free..just letting you know. :)
OH..and from our home to yours,
WHO DAT baby!!!

6 comments:

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Very cute. I saw something similar at the SYTYC craft-off thingy. Did you see that, too? Twine is a big hit right now. :) And yay for getting a glue gun. You'll definitely be on your way to lots of crafts with it. (Just be prepared to burn your fingers a lot. lol... I had a job when I was 16 at a craft store, and I built up "burned finger calluses". ha!)

Oh, and I also like where you put it. Looks good.

Love ya!
-Sarah

Erin@The Phillips Fam said...

Nope didn't see it at the place your talking about, I'm not sure what those letters stand for.. LOL. I don't have much time to look at all the blogs, ugh I wish I did!! Yeah, I used to use my moms glue gun quite a bit, but never needed my own in germany, but now I find it useful :) I'm not sure that i'm keeping it where it's at..depends if I can complete the look or not. We'll see!

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

http://soyouthinkyourecrafty-current.blogspot.com/2010/01/session-2-auditions.html

there it is... I thought about it because it looks really cute with the frame and ribbon. maybe a way to change up your "P" from time to time.

Erin@The Phillips Fam said...

Oh yeah, that's cool! How funny, I actually thought about mounting it, never thought about tying it to a frame though.

Mommy2Layla said...

Very cute! You are becoming quite the crafter, Erin. :)

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

http://alittleofthis---alittleofthat.blogspot.com/2010/01/twine-wrapped-letters.html

Saw this today, and thought of your twiny P! :)

Love,
Sarah

CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »