Friday, January 15, 2010

Inexpensive DIY table centerpiece!

So, since Christmas has passed, my dining room table has been bare, and I couldn't stand it any longer! I am LOVING greens right now, so I knew I wanted that. I went to walmart in hopes of finding a clear glass vase, and some filler. I knew I had split peas and lima beans in mind as filler because I saw it done here, and thought it was the PERFECT thing for ME! So after getting my filler, I headed to the craft side of the store. Looked by the vases and wasn't finding much of anything for a good price, but then found the clearance aisle, and bam! There it was! A beautiful clear glass vase for $4! And better yet, some larger size vase type candleholders for $1 a pop! I couldn't pass it up. Then I headed to the flowers. I had originally wanted lilies, something with a mixture of white and green, and even orange! I was looking in the Better Homes & Gardens selection of flowers, and boy were they ever beautiful. But like $10 for one stick of flowers. I couldn't do it. But wait, there was a bin on the end of the aisle marked clearance. Oh thank you Lord. And guess what, they had some BEAUTIFUL hydrangeas marked down to ONE dollar!! Score! Add a stick of little filler flower for another buck, and a happy lady walked out of walmart. :)

So I went home, made the kiddos and hubby lunch, kissed the hubby bye as he left for work, and got on my project!

I filled all of the glass products I got with the split peas first. Most of it went into the big vase, and the rest into the smaller. Then I added the lima beans, and then cut the flowers to the height I wanted them and placed them in the large vase.
I had bought green tealights for like $.50 when I was at Kroger right after Christmas, and they went perfect with this!

Then I remembered the Christmas present my best friend gave me a few years ago, and how it came with 2 GREEN tealight candleholders. Oh how perfect.
Lovely, isn't it? Oh how I love all that green!!

SO here's the completed look..

And it was SO very easy, SO fun, and SO inexpensive. :)
large vase- $4
2 small candleholder/vases- $2
flowers- $2.50
1 bag lima beans- $1.24
1 bag split peas- $.72
extra green tealight holders- $.00 already had them
2 green tealights-$.00 already had them

Grand total $10.46! Now where can you buy a beautiful, original centerpiece for that price?
You can't. Be sure to share with me if you do something like this! I'd love to see.

Now what to do with the other side of the dining room...suggestions? :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhhhh!!!!! so pretty! Look on my blog in a couple of days for my new decoration!! LOL It takes me awhile to get a blogs post up. LOL I started it today!! LOL

Love ya!!

Erin@The Phillips Fam said...

:) Thanks! I was feeling lazy during nap today, so I didn't run the 3.5 miles I usually do when the boys nap, and decided to blog! Ugh, I'm going to regret it when I have to do it tonight!! Boo. LOL

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Love the green! Fresh. And hydrangeas are one of my all time faves. :) Very pretty. Don't regret it, Erin. You're very disciplined, and shouldn't regret anything- imo. lol.

(I'm laughing at y'all. It seems we've all caught the crafting bug, eh?!)

Love ya!
-Sarah

Erin@The Phillips Fam said...

I haven't done much crafting, but I'm all about decorating, and was sick of looking at an empty table! :) The green makes me think of spring and summer and I cannot wait for that!!!! :)

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Love your centerpiece! I am in love with green too.

CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »