Thursday, April 29, 2010

School time--reading fun!

We did alot of the norm this week. Blend ladders, writing practice, Bible verses,
talking about the weather...

Reading!
He's on Little book #5. (Abeka)
He read it like a champ too!

He's doing excellent with his writing. I have him going through the alphabet again with the
Writing with Phonics book. Can't have too much writing practice!
He learned to write his FULL name for the first time yesterday!
I never thought to make him do it, but Abeka does. LOL
Mommy only makes him write Caleb usually. ;)
Mr. Ay loves buzz lightyear, so he worked on a coloring page of that.
We've been doing sentences on the chalkboard.
I make him tell me how he knows it's a sentence.
(because it begins with a capital letter and ends with a period)
It's so neat to see him understand that!
This board was neater when I originally wrote the sentences, but mr Ay
decided to wet the eraser and destroy my sentences! That boy..

Speaking of the crazy one... here he is telling me the sound A makes. aaaaaaa. haha
He's too cute.
It's the only sound he knows. He recognizes the written letters A, B, and E. That's it so far.
He's only 2.5 so that's perfectly fine with me! :)
We also use regular cooking opportunities for math! LOL
Daddy was making pizza, and Caleb was helping with the pepperonis,
and started counting them. So I added some addition and subtraction games in there!
Man, I'm sneaky! hahaha

Now that we're through with the letters of the alphabet, and Caleb knows his
short vowel blends really well, I've been trying to figure out
more creative way to play games/do crafts with words instead of just letters.

So I wrote some short vowel words on paper, and laminated them.
Got some rice out of the cabinet, and put it in the bowl,
and hid the words!
He LOVED the texture of the rice, and love that the words were hidden.


He got all of the words right! Smart boy.
Hands on activities are the way to go with him!
Then I gave him 5 minutes of free time to introduce Thomas to the game..
What could be better? LOL
We also took lots of nature walks and talked about the world around us. But I was pulling a wagon with 2 kids, while BEING pulled by our 55 lb lab, Dixie. So no camera was available at that time. LOL

More fun learning to come!

3 comments:

Confessions Of A Homeschooler said...

Cool, thanks for linking up, looks like lots of fun!

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

Thanks for inspiring me this week on my Tot Tuesdays link up party! I hope you’ll stop by again this week.

I’m hosting Yummy Mummy Week May 9th-16th and I’ve got a great group of ladies sharing their tips on fitness, fashion, parenting and relationships as well as a giveaway everyday. And I’d love for you to share a story and some photos of how your life and body have changed since becoming a mom. The Link up party starts on Mother’s Day and runs the whole week.

Have a great week and Happy (Early) Mother’s Day!

Mom said...

You are a born teacher, so full of fun ideas and dedicated to the task!

CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »