Friday, March 12, 2010

Crafting: Ribbon wreath making with my momma!



So when we had the dates for when my hubby, kids, and I would be in Slidell, my mom and I devised a plan to do a craft together! She found this really cute ribbon wreath tutorial online, so we headed to Hobby Lobby the first weekend we were there. It ended up taking 2 nights on different weekends to do it, but it was alot of fun. And they turned out really cute!

What you need:

45 yards of ribbon (I used 5 yards of 9 different ribbons)
straight pins
a ruler
styrofoam wreath (mine is 10 inches)
scissors
*patience
*a great Momma to do this with..sorry mine's taken! ;)
We started fairly late, after everyone else had gone to bed.
After much cutting, we started looping and pinning..no real method to it,
just loop and pin!
My mother is super mom! She's good at it all!
Here they are halfway through the process, before we hit the hay..
Came back the next weekend and worked on them some more!
It ended up being a really good way to focus on something after what happened with Cosmo.

Here it is almost done!
Voila!
We both had a few more things to do to it.
Like realize that we should put more ribbon on the back being that we both have glass doors!
:)
Aren't they beautiful though?
Here's mine on my yellow wall. I keep forgetting to buy another wreath hanger,
and wanted to blog about this, so I just took a quick pick.
Love the colors, and just in time for St. Patty's Day!
And here it is on my fireplace! Love it!

Linking to:
The DIY Show Off
DIY Day @ ASPTL
Get your craft on Thurs.


The Girl Creative

73 comments:

Emily said...

Awee...Erin they turned out so cute! I saw one sort of like this one except they used smaller ribbon, but I like yours way better with the wider ribbon! Is it just for St. Patty's Day or for spring?

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

This turned out so cute! Great job. I'm linking it up on my Friday Faves. :) I was going to do a post about wreaths anyways- - how random is that! Perfect timing.

Love,
Sarah

Heidi said...

This is soooo cute! I love all the ribbon, this wreath makes me smile!

Tammy said...

Love it and it is fun to do this theme on balls at Valentines day to make kissing balls.
tammy

Unknown said...

The ribbon colours are pretty and I think it is great that you were able to work with your mom making them. I agree that the wreaths could work for other holidays too, just by using different ribbon colours.

Walkers said...

So great! I found you on New Friend Friday! Great blog- love the "p" activities!

Heather
www.lulustiles.blogspot.com

Kelly @ Make It Sparkly Mama said...

Wow, I have never seen that type of wreath before and what am impact it makes! It is just darling! Love it!

Sarah said...

Super cute wreath! I love that you and your mom made them together. Great memories!
God's blessings,
Sarah :D

Unknown said...

That turned out so beautiful! Thanks for linking up this week

Stacey @ Fun to Craft said...

I love how this turned out!! All of the colors look so gorgeous together. So fun for St Patty's Day too. Thank you for sharing this with us at Spring has Sprung at Fun to Craft.

Mama Thompson said...

That is so freakin' cute...don't you love moms...:)

MJ BOG Booster VP said...

This is so cute!! I think curling all that ribbon would drive me nuts, but it totally is worth it in the end. Great job!

Sonja @ Craft-Werk said...

Stopping over from Girl Creative. This is gorgeous. Love your wreaths. But I am probably not patient enough to make one myself ;-)

Angie Holden said...

Those are so cute!! :)

Upstatemamma said...

That is really cute!! I keep seeing all of you crafty people making these awesome wreaths. I totally need to give it a try. This one looks easy enough - even I should be able to do it.

Alisa said...

Super cute! I recently made a ribbon wreath, but I just tied my ribbon to the wreath. I LOVE your loops! Great Idea!

Marianne said...

They look lovely. And how wonderful that you can do a project like this with your mother. Cherish that!

Megan Gunyan said...

Aw, I miss my mom! Love the wreath. The color is perfect. I love how it's a new sew/glue/staple project! Very easy and very cute! Great job!

CourtneyKeb said...

You and your mom did a great job!!!! They look super cute!

Amanda Lee said...

your wreaths turned out great, and I love that you did this project with your mom!

Erin@The Phillips Fam said...

Thank you everyone! It really was fun to make, and not too time consuming at all! It's a great thing to do and just have a nice conversation with the person you're doing it with, or in my case, lots of laughs! That's how me and my mom always are together. :)

If you do it, please let me know, I'd love to see!!

Cindi said...

That wreath is adorable and seems so easy! My BFF & I run a "Mom's Craft Night Out" for a bunch of me and my friends. We get together and craft once a month and I'm in charge of the craft. They are not that crafty but I'm sure they an pull this one off! If you are interested in some of our crafts, you can check out the link on my blog labeled Mom's Craft Night Out.

Laura said...

This is adorable! My mom is coming to visit at the end of the month and I can't wait to craft with her.


Feel free to stop by my blog and enter my necklace giveaway!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

How cute...luv your ribbon colors!
Hope you have a FUN day!

Blessings,
Linda

{oc cottage} said...

Too cute!

m ^..^

Holly Lefevre said...

That is really pretty!
Holly
504 Main

Embellished Bayou said...

Y'all did a great job! I wish I had the patience to make one, they are so pretty & fancy! I took the easy way out & made one using curly ribbon, it took about 30 minutes!

Unknown said...

oooh, love this! love ribbon, love wreaths, love them together!
we have a friday fun finds party... if you're interested, we'd love it if you'd link up this week!

Unknown said...

Those are SO cute!!

Unknown said...

Took a moment and browsed through your blog after I commented the first time! I enjoyed looking through your travel posts ... we are stationed in Germany and have done some similar travels! I'm your newest follower!

www.theclayfamilyblog.blogpsot.com

Lori said...

This turned out great! It seems like you and your mom had fun!! I hope you don't mind if I borrower (steal).LOL this idea... I want to do something like this and put it on a mirror I have, so it would be much smaller.

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday!!! Please join me next week for another great party!
Lori

Unknown said...

That came out soooo cute!! I really love it. :)

Kelley said...

super cute! I have to try that.
have a great week!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

GORGEOUS!!! I have seen ribbon topiaries, but no ribbon wreaths! This rocks!!!

Unknown said...

So pretty! I linked to you in my Friday Favorites... http://laniejandco.blogspot.com

On a separate note... I really enjoy seeing women who cherish their time with their Moms and don't take it for granted. I lost mine last Oct. to cancer and I miss her so much!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Cute wreath - I love it. Now you should make one for Spring! It would be so cute in the bright Spring colors!

Thanks so much for linking up to my party! I really appreciate it!

XOOX
Jen

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

They are so cute! How fun to craft with your Mom!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden!

angie said...

Erin, This looks like something I would enjoy doing! About how long were the ribbon pieces? I'm not good at estimating.

Thanks!
Angie

So Sunny Day said...

My oh my that is darling! LOVE THE RIBBON so much! you and your mama are too cute :)

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Ashley said...

What a great idea!!! I need more ideas for wreaths..I am so boring sometimes LOL...Thank you for sharing!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Such a lovely wreath! Now I know what to do with all that ribbon I've got stashed away!

Love it even more that you did this with your mom. Very sweet!

Kitty said...

Hello from Central Brittany, France! I'm visiting from Just-A-Girl's Wednesday Block Party thingy.

I just LOVE this idea! I wonder if you should possibly half-wrap the backside of the wreath in a coordinating colour fabric, maybe hot glue it on, so that it will be pretty from the back side? It would take less ribbon to do it that way.

I can see doing this for Easter in pastels (next year!) with some little Easter eggs hanging, and in Autumn with various bits like moss, ivy, fall leaves, red berries, it's just so versatile! Thank you for posting this!

Lori said...

I featured this at Life As Lori if you would like to come by and grab the I was featured button please do! Thanks for sharing this idea at the Spring/Easter Party! Don't forget to join me for another wonderful Get Your Craft On Thursday party starting tonight! Lori

Remodelaholic said...

This really is so cute, I am glad to see it done with patterned ribbon, cause that is what I have mostly!

Thanks for showing me your project!

Debbie said...

Your wreaths are adorable I am going to have to give these a try too. Thanks for sharing.

Frugal farmhouse said...

I absolutely love this! I am making one :) I'm your newest follower ;)

Helena said...

That is so cute!! I LOVE how full it is.

Thank you for linking this up to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

Chanin said...

Those are super adorable! I have soo much ribbon, this is something I will need to do!

Jill said...

Those are great! I'm featuring you :) womenwhodoitall.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Those wreaths are absolutely adorable!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Wow.. I've never seen anything quite like them! So pretty! And how cool is Mom. :)

Thanks for linking up to SNS!
FJ Donna

Erin@The Phillips Fam said...

Thanks everyone!

Angie--the pieces of ribbon were 2 inches long! Sorry about that!

Bee said...

Your wreaths turned out beautiful! This will be on my to-do list:)

It is really nice to see a mom and daughter have so much fun together too:)

Helena said...

Hey, I am Featuring this too :)

http://lanieree.blogspot.com/2010/03/featuring-you_26.html

Ashleigh said...

I just came accross your SUPER cute blog! It's so inspiring that you homeschool your boys! I have so much respect for moms who do it! And I'm in love with the ribbon wreath! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to put one together! :)

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Hi..I'm Barb from Follow me fridays & I'm now a follower of yours..I hope you will come see my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
& be one too. I Love your wreaths!! Bravo for mom & their daughters doing crafts together. We do that too. I just reupholstered 4 Kitchen Chairs for $1.25ea. with black & white polka dot fabric, stools, table runner, hutch, & napkin holder..it was hard to slow down. I love to do decorating, vinyl lettering, one-stroke painting, aprons/bows, jewelry. Come see & I hope you'll leave a comment & tell me what you think..Have a great day! Barb

Embellished Bayou said...

Thanks for linking up, have a great weekend!

Jess said...

Very cute. Thanks so much for posting on Favorite Things Friday!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Super cute and easy too--thanks for linking up!

Anonymous said...

Great Wreath! I haven't seen a tutorial for a wreath quiet like that. How long are the strips that you cut to loop? ...and Do you loop the ribbon in a circle or circle it up a couple of times?

Carol said...

What a great wreath, thanks for sharing it!

Appleseed Gifts said...

Cute and super easy!! Thanks for linking up with Mad Skills Monday!

Ginger
SuperStinkyBoys
Appleseed Gifts

BECKY said...

What a cute wreath and what fun to create lovely things with your Mom!! You are blessed indeed.

Love our blog and will be back for sure!

Blessings and joy be yours,
Becky

Unknown said...

What a darling wreath! The thing people are doing with wreaths these days...so creative! I love the colors! Thanks for stopping by my blog and linking up...have a wonderful Tuesday!

Frugal Home Designs said...

Very cute. That is so great that you got to spend some time with your mom--aren't those the best projects. Thanks for coming to the party!

Wendy said...

THIS Is so adorable, I must make one with my cute mom! She would love it.
I was wondering how long to do you cut the ribbons?

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Simply stunning! This looks amazing! Love your ribbon choices! Thanks so much for linking up to the Sunday Showcase. I greatly appreciate it! Hope you enjoy your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Amy said...

wow, look at all these comments!
cute wreath, love it against the yellow background.
how bless you are to have a mom like that! Thanks for linking up to "AP Tuesdays!"

Unknown said...

Your wreath is fabulous! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing @ Anything Related!!

Nikki said...

That is RI-donkulously cute! LOVE it!!!!! Thanks for linkin' up to gettin' crafty on hump day... :)

Kami @ Sweet Charli... said...

Wow! I love this wreath! It is so much fun and I love it because it's so full! Thanks for linking up with Sweet Charli!

Helena said...

Thanks for linking this up to A Little Creative Therapy with Life in the Pitts!

Amy said...

wow that is alot of comments to scroll through!:P great job. I will be featuring this project at "AP Tuesdays" tomorrow (actually around 9:30 tonight) Thanks again for linking up!!

CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »