Friday, September 26, 2008

What a week.

So Sunday morning and night, Ayden had been really grumpy in nursery. He usually gets sad when I leave him, but then he gets over it. Well, this was not the case. He was still not feeling well from the last week, but not to the point that it was getting in the way of him being happy or playing like normal. So anyway, as we're leaving church on Sunday I notice he's starting to feel warm. He's only had a fever like 2x so I knew something was up. So I give him motrin and put him to bed when we get home. I checked on him a couple hours later and he was burning up! His temp was around 103 and I was just freaked. It wasn't going down with motrin and it always had before. So I rocked him on the couch and took some of his clothes off and it went down a bit, but I was still worried.

Next morning he's still burning up. He slept well but was just completely lethargic. Didn't want to eat or drink, nothing. He was also slightly wheezing when he was breathing. So I got the boys ready and headed to the clinic on post. I talked to the nurses and the earliest they could get me in was at 3. So I went home and went back at 3 and asked the doctor (great guy from our church) if he would give him an x-ray, (which I asked the germans to do when I brought him the last Sunday but they said NOTHING was in his lungs!!) and he said sure. So we brought him to the x-ray techs and that was just a horrible experience. They had to put him in this plastic case thing and he had to have his hands straight up. Caleb and I had to leave the room while the x-ray was being done, so we stayed right outside of the door. Poor Ayden was screaming his head off, he didn't like it a bit. Caleb started crying when he heard Ay crying and he tried to go in the door but I wouldn't let him. He was freaking out for his little brother! It was really sweet. But anyway, after that was over the doctor saw him and definitely heard some stuff in his lungs. And then the x-ray came back and showed that he had bronchial pneumonia! No wonder he wasn't feeling good, poor baby. So we got some antibiotics and went home, so grateful that we finally figured out why Ayden was so sick!!

Tuesday was an amazingly better day, no fever, and a happy baby! He wasn't back to 100% but definitely a change noticed. Then I hear Caleb sounding a bit stuffy and starting to cough on Tuesday night. I knew something was coming. The weather was going from fairly warm and sunny to cold and rainy, and for some reason, Caleb's little body cannot handle it!

Wednesday morning I hear a little bit of wheezing when Caleb breathes. He was coughing and not even wanting to play outside, which I knew meant he didn't feel well. So I give him his albuterol to help with his wheezing and put him down for his nap that afternoon. I knew I wasn't going to be bringing him to his soccer game since it was cold and there was a 60% chance of rain that night. So we skipped that and homegroup because I wasn't going to bring my Ayden when he is getting over pneumonia either! Darryl was working til 6ish that night so it just wasn't an option for only one of us to take him. And I'm so glad we didn't. The middle of the night on Wednesday was horrible! His stomach was moving up and down rapidly and he was having a hard time breathing. He wouldn't eat anything and didn't really care for anything to drink either.

Thursday morning finally comes, and we call the clinic as soon as they opened (which wasn't until 10 since it was Thursday) and they said they had an appt at 330. I'm grateful that I could even get in on the same day, but was still sad it wasn't earlier. Darryl was working nights that night so he didn't have to go in until 2. Caleb couldn't do anything but lay there, it was so scary! His breathing was so harsh, so we decided around 1130 to go on post and have the nurses look at him because I just wanted to make sure that nothing bad was going to happen to him! SO we get there and they hear him and almost immediately take him back to a doctor. (which just does NOT happen at the clinic here! LOL) We were there for 3 and a half hours! He got 2 breathing treatments, a shot of cortisone, blood drawn, and an x-ray. They told us that he definitely has asthma and they think that he also has bronchitis which is what is triggering the asthma. They gave us a referral to go off post and have the german doctors observe him. So we went home and got some stuff for the hospital in case they kept us overnight and then we headed there. The hospital is about 25 minutes away, so it's not too bad. We get there and Caleb is actually playful, which was awesome. (I think the cortisone from the shot had kicked in!) He wanted to play with the toys they had there, and he was so excited when the nurse gave him 2 balloons. They ended up giving us another puffer with a different kind of medicine in it to take with the one we already have with albuterol in it. We finally got home around 8pm and we were all so exhausted. Ayden went to sleep shortly after, doing fine with his pneumonia. And Caleb & I ate a bowl of cereal and I slept with him in his bed that night. He slept the entire night and was not gasping for breath, which was awesome. I slept really well too, because I took nyquil LOL. Baptist booze as my dad would say! Haha. I'm not majorly sick or anything. Just a sore throat and a stuffy nose, but I needed sleep! We all slept really late and we so needed it!

This morning (Friday) everyone is doing so much better. Caleb is back to talking our ears off, Ayden is back to bugging Caleb and following him everywhere and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I think that sometimes God gives us these bad days so we appreciate all the good ones He gives us. I think I definitely take it for granted when my kids aren't sick. But then after a week like this, I'm just so happy that they are getting better. Right now Caleb is yelling at me from the dining room table to come play moon sand with him, and usually I'd be saying, hold on Caleb, I'm doing this or that. But today I'm just smiling and thankful that he's talking and breathing without distress. Off to play with some moon sand...

0 comments:

CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »